1. Biological reasons: There’s no denying the fact that the chances of you not conceiving at all after a certain age increase, the further you delay it. You may not have those issues at all. You may have them. As far as I know, in my circle, anyone beyond 27 is facing issues. There are all sort of new-age diseases which are cropping up in this age, which were never known of,at such young age.
Also, a woman’s body heals much better post-preg in younger age, than later.
2. Work: Normally, if you’re in the age bracket of 24-28, chances are you’re just starting to tread the managerial ladder in your company, and are in the nascent stage (maybe a team lead). Once you grow further on, the responsibilities on you increase and your ability to give more time at home, decrease. A child demands time and attention. If not given, the child will still grow but she’ll miss your time.
3. Child’s a graduate before you retire: While the corporate culture lures you to believe that there is no upper limit of 60 to your retirement, the fact is that most people in corporate culture are tired of the stress by the age of 40, at max 50. And, you want your child to be settled in his career, or at least begin his career by the time you retire. So, simple maths (child settles at 23 which means you should not delay beyond 27).
I know this sounds so weird, even funny, but think it over and, if not all, some of it definitely makes sense.
4. Your parents : They are able to enjoy and even take care of your child better, while you’re away. Right now, my FIL actually runs around the park catching the balloon of my son, while we watch. This should explain the point.
1. Personal time, Couple time, Freedom: All of this goes down the drain once you have a child. Forget foreign trips, even trips to Pondicherry are screwed when you have a small kid. You cannot do impromptu trips coz u need to plan ahead for the child. You cannot just pack two things and leave, because you cannot forget her soap or cream or meds and what not.
Forget spending time together with your husband over the weekend. Weekends or week-days, all your time is full of your child. She won’t sleep till you drop dead on the bed. She won’t like it if Dad is anywhere near her private, personal, only-hers Mamma.
I know, sounds horrendous at the outset. But, it’s not that bad. You tend to learn how to handle it AND manage to sneak out some time together. But, yes, it’s a big responsibility and definitely needs a lot of modification in your existing lifestyle. You cannot be the free-reeling, easy-going, independent person that you were. You have to be responsible for your child.
And, one look at her, and you’ll know that it’s all worth it, and not that big a trade-off.